Sunday, February 9, 2014

Steven Schick Superstar


I've known Steve Schick since the 1980s, when I was myself still an active percussionist, and I have fond memories of those days, especially associated with great concerts of whatever new music he was learning at the time, but also of intense conversations about music, literature, good food and drink, and so on. His sense of personal style is something I also remember and that still is certainly the case. As someone who has been wearing a flannel shirt over a T-shirt and jeans since graduate school, I've always admired his taste, whether it be his choice of shoes--were they always Italian? Regardless I remember nothing but leather--or even more noticeable his designer eyewear, which seems to be different every time I see him. In other words, a stylish and classy guy who also happens to be one of his generation's greatest musicians. That he is also a percussionist, well, maybe this seems not so unusual now with so many fine percussionists working as conductors (Steve does too nowadays), becoming composers (which is, in addition to writing, what I do now), or just participating as percussionists in a world that accepts percussion music as not just normal but often with an appreciation of it as something really spectacular. But back when I was a student, which is only few years later than when Steve was a student, percussionists were definitely, and especially in the United States, decidedly in the "back of the bus" musically, often literally, as one still sees in bands and orchestras everywhere. Steve and I remained in touch when I stopped being a percussionist and I really appreciated that contact. In fact, when he invited me to be part of his Roots and Rhizomes festival at UCSD in 2005 it was the beginning of what has since become a percussive "reawakening" for me that I've written about elsewhere.

I'm writing this as an introduction to what follows, a response to the two-concert retrospective Steve did at the Miller Theater last week. You can see what Steve had to say about the concert, and about solo percussion, here:


I'm sometimes embarrassed by the overflow of emotion in written prose, at least as it finds its way into my writing, which I make sure it rarely does. And I sat on what I wrote below all week, thinking through my feelings about sharing such a personal reaction to what was a set of concerts that ranks up there with the very best I've ever seen. As I've written in a recent post, I've been to tons of concerts so that's really saying something. Anyway, Steven Schick definitely is a superstar in my book and I certainly don't intend the use of "god" as in any way connected to acts of worship--more in line with the famous example of 60s-London graffiti: "Eric Clapton is god." Yes, it is exactly in this sense, and I'm guessing with the same passion that listener felt about a Clapton performance, that I offer the following, written one day after the concert series was over.

Steven Schick Superstar

If the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar portrayed Jesus as a man, let's have this blog portray Steven Schick as a god. Of percussion that is, or even more specifically, as this is where he began: a god of solo percussion, a category Steve proclaimed this past Friday (during a panel discussion) as possibly "dead." I'll have more to say about that in a later blog entry. For now let's just say this: not as long as Steven Schick is alive, that's for sure, and his two concerts at Columbia University's Miller Theater last Thursday and Saturday were living proof, a virtuosically performed overview of Steven's place in the pantheon of percussion history and whose participation these many years played a large role in bringing percussion, for better and worse, into the forefront (better) and mainstream (worse) of music today.  I'm going to write about this latter category at another time and concentrate here solely on the former.

After the panel discussion mentioned above I complimented Steve on his performance of Stockhausen's Zyklus, which I've heard him play many times. Here's a performance of him playing it that I found on YouTube:

Steven Schick performing Zyklus by Karlheinz Stockhausen

His Miller Theater performance of Zyklus was among the very best I've ever heard. He told me he had "played the Stockhausen maybe eight hundred times at least," but hadn't played it in the last ten years. He'd performed Xenakis's Psappha, also on the program, "even more."  Here's a video of Schick playing Psappha:

Steven Schick performing Psappha by Iannis Xenakis

During the Friday panel discussion Aiyun Huang, one of Schick's former students and now a professor teaching percussion at McGill, commented about how the percussive "standards" on the first concert were written for young men in their twenties and Steve, at sixty, was still playing them. She meant this as, and I'm sure it was taken as, a compliment. Truthfully, I know of no other person who played (or plays) these pieces in later years. It was quite extraordinary for me, someone not that much younger that Steve, to see him not only perform these pieces, in and of itself a major accomplishment, but add new insights into these pieces--a new awareness of what something like Zyklus and Psappha compositionally is and how these are both great compositions deep enough to allow for interpretive change over time. Like comparing Alfred Brendel's Beethoven piano sonata recordings, early and late, both have their merits; both are necessary to a complete understanding of Beethoven and Brendel. Same here: Zyklus and Psappha have many interpreters and interpretations. But how rare it is to hear Steve Schick's interpretations of Zyklus and Psappha, having myself heard them not hundreds but certainly dozens of times, and hear those pieces as a history of piece and player combined. As great as the YouTube performances of Steve playing Zyklus and Psappha obviously are, my memory of Steve playing these pieces last week will be the performances that stick with me. Definitive then has, for me, become definitive now. You could hear the history of those eight hundred performances, the power of that accumulation, in what Steve played last weekend. As I'm sure anyone who was there will tell you, it was an unforgettable experience.

Borrowing from Christian fundamentalists, not only is Steve Schick a god, but an "awesome god," who "reigns from heaven above." The real question to ask is, with Steve still going strong at sixty, who dares ascend to the throne? Any takers? I didn't think so. So Steve, in response to your wonderful performance last week, let me quote the words of another young man who performed virtuosically in his twenties, and whom I wish was still interpreting his own "standards":

"Sing on brother, play on drummer."

"If Six was Nine" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience


No comments:

Post a Comment